All Over

After three years, I have now returned to the UK and so will not be adding any more posts here. Thank you all for reading

これからもよろしくお願いします!

Until the day I return to Japan-land...

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Staying in Tokyo

I haven't been staying in hotels, hostels or even traditional ryo-kan.

I've been staying in internet cafes. I've already described how different these are to the European ones I've been in - here you can even have a shower in the morning! Granted you might have to put up with a bit of snoring, and they are windowless caves full of computer-game nerds, but consider: for 2,000 yen (about 10 of your English pounds) you can stay in the heart of wherever you end up at bed-time. Tonight for example we went drinking in a series of fascinating little bars in Shinjyuku. We came out, decided we were going to head home, I spotted somewhere and in 2 mins I was at my bed for the night.



My main bag is in a locker at Tokyo station, to which I return to resupply my day-bag. Every now and again I indulge at an Ofuro or Onsen for a nice leisurely soak.


I have to admit that this choice of accomodation-style was probably more due to my lack of organization than anything else. However, it did seem a kind of appropriate response for such 24-hour buzzing anonymous city such as Tokyo.

I also stayed in a capsule hotel.

First you exchange all your belongings for a flannel and pair of slippers...



Then you kind of post yourself away for the night.




Of course internet cafes and capsule hotels - for all their charm - don't compare to the place I stayed when I was last in Tokyo.




The Keio Hotel. Thank you Mr Tsuzuki. (Steak for breakfast!)

No comments: