All Over

After three years, I have now returned to the UK and so will not be adding any more posts here. Thank you all for reading

これからもよろしくお願いします!

Until the day I return to Japan-land...

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Food

Food...

"As every traveller knows, Japan's cuisine is one of its main attractions".

So says Lonely Planet.

Oh how wrong they are.

All meat is small chopstick size and fatty and gross and small. Ciaran reportedly spotted a lean steak last Tuesday, but he was hot and dehydrated so it was most likely an hallucination.

The Japanese call their breakfast, lunch and dinner asagohan, hirugohan, and bangohan or morning rice, midday rice and evening rice. So it may not come as a surprise that everything includes rice. Sticky rice. Japan's protected agricultural business means it's not cheap to buy either. But don't get me onto that (Each Japanese cows gets about $4 a day in government subsidies - when 1/6 of the world's pop live on less than $1 a day). They even put rice in their beer. Anyway I've had so much rice I'm going mad. Had dreams about rice. Dreams about going into MacDonalds, opening up my cheeseburger to take the gerkin out and only for an explosion of maggot like rice creatures crawl up my arm and into my lungs through my nose.
Japanese cuisine

You're meant to have five portions of fruit a day. I think I've eaten about 7 portions since I've got here. Bean sprouts. I had some of them a couple of weeks ago. And orange juice, they sell that.

We have finally found some foods, such as "ramen" and "denbori" which are not only edible but actually quite tasty. Then during a induction at a local gym (which some of us are thinking of joining) the instructor informs us that ramen and denbori are about 88 times worse than hamburgers.

I'm hoping that things will go better. In the mean time, a bakery in a nearby shopping centre sells Custard Danishes. I might well end up living on them. I might, as rainforest tribes do, reorganise my whole life around custard danishes my only source of sustanance in this barbarous environment. Danish custard snacks, danish custard soup, whiskey and even little whittled canoes made from the buggers.

You may detect an element of insanity in this email, but then we're all starting to go a little crazy.

1 comment:

cfg said...

Bren - if you want to stop spam comments turn on comment validation in settings...
BTW.. love the pics etc, but what are you actually getting up to?
Did you get the book from mum yet?