All Over

After three years, I have now returned to the UK and so will not be adding any more posts here. Thank you all for reading

これからもよろしくお願いします!

Until the day I return to Japan-land...

Friday, January 27, 2006

Japanese can't pronounce 'l's.

They say 'r' instead.

'-ve' also becomes 'b'.

This is often funny:Getting my students to try and sound more English in conversation, I've tried to get to say (instead of "soo des ka?") when they hear something interesting to saying, "Oh really?". So now in my classes everyone is always saying "Oh rirry?" after everything I say.
Furthermore, "the red lorry, yellow lorry" tongue twister is impossible, the Lolly Pop song is hilarious, and "I love you" becomes "I rub you".

1 comment:

BJ said...

One vac I was a volunteer English teacher for a couple of weeks at WEC. I had a Japanese girl who yep couldn't say l or w. I spent a lot of time mouthing in a mirror trying to work out just how you do say them so I could explain! The best (worst) word I discovered was 'wool' or 'wooly'.